Department of Teacher Education Goals, 2018-2019
Overarching Goal: Ensure that all programs, policies, and procedures reflect our commitment to equity and are consistent with culturally relevant practices.
1. Develop program-specific plans for embedding culturally relevant pedagogy and practice in all programs.
2. Review program outcomes and assessment measures to ensure that equity and culturally relevant pedagogy and practice are appropriately included.
3. Develop a departmental policy statement regarding our commitment to equity and culturally relevant practices to guide all decision-making processes and procedures.
Goal 1: Provide high quality, standards-based instruction that prepares pre-service and in-service teachers to improve the learning of all students through the implementation and modeling of best practices.
• Objective 1: Continue to advocate for and fill needed faculty positions in the Teacher Education Department, and retain newly hired faculty.
• Objective 2: Monitor efforts of integrating preparation for and results of candidates' performance on, edTPA, TKES, ethics training, etc.
• Objective 3: Monitor course enrollments and use of part-time faculty to ensure the maintaining of quality and integrity of our programs.
• Objective 4: Provide professional development opportunities for pre- and in-service teachers (e.g., edTPA writing sessions, technology workshops, ESL workshops, study abroad).
• Objective 5: Continue to collaborate with and recruit education foundation (EDUC) instructors to develop strategies for improving the writing of education majors and participate in Freshman Learning Communities.
Goal 2: Expand both face-to-face and online programs and course offerings to address needs in the region and beyond.
• Objective 1: Examine ways to enhance and improve course offerings that will support retention and facilitate timely program completion.
• Objective 2: Develop a departmental plan to facilitate the development of high quality online courses and to monitor enrollment to help meet the needs of students and support the development of highly effective teachers.
Goal 3: Maintain a strong collaborative relationship with the Office of Student Advising and Field Experiences, the Partner School Network, and other related advising offices across campus.
• Objective 1: Strengthen collaboration with the SAFE Office, other departments in the College of Letters and Sciences and the College of the Arts, and the Center for Academic Advising.
• Objective 2: Provide regular updates regarding program changes, scheduling, special opportunities (e.g. study abroad, workshops), etc.
• Objective 3: Continue to strengthen communication and collaboration between the Partner School Network and faculty (e.g. Professional Development School plans, scheduling, placements, etc.)
Goal 4: Promote and support scholarly activities, research, and professional development of faculty and staff.
• Objective 1: Continue to provide a support system to acclimate new faculty to the department, college and university and assist them in meeting performance expectations.
• Objective 2: Continue to provide professional development opportunities to help faculty enhance instruction with technology and develop online courses.
• Objective 3: Provide support for faculty engagement in research, publication, and grant seeking opportunities through professional development and workload policies.
Goal 5: Enhance existing and develop new partnerships such as those with the Partner School Network, Program Advisory Committees, Adjunct/Part-time Faculty, and programs, agencies, and departments at CSU.
• Objective 1: Collaborate with the Center for Quality Teaching and Learning and the Office of Student Advising and Field Experiences on the redesign of the Partner School Network and the implementation of the Professional Development School model.
• Objective 2: Continue to collaborate with faculty in the College of Letters and Sciences on the planning and implementation of the UTeach Columbus and Woodrow Wilson Fellows programs for mathematics and science education majors.
• Objective 3: Increase collaboration with and involvement of part- and full-time faculty within the department as well as across the university.
Goal 6: Enhance the visibility and awareness of Teacher Education in the community.
• Objective 1: Develop a strategic distribution plan and use the COEHP Newsletter and other available outlets to publicize Teacher Education events and accomplishments.
• Objective 2: Update program brochures and flyers; promote new programs and endorsements.
• Objective 3: Develop a public relations/advertising plan for programs and recruiting students (particularly at the graduate levels).